Dr. Rick Bains
MD, FRCSC, DABO
Over 60,000 ocular procedures
Dr. Rick Bains graduated from the University of Manitoba medical school in 1987 and then completed his internship and residency training at the University of Western Ontario (now known as Western University). He was named resident of the year in 1990 and honoured with the Hermont Family Award. After serving as chief resident in his final year of training, Dr. Bains completed a clinical fellowship at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary of Harvard University in Boston, where he was named fellow of the year in 1994. Upon returning to Canada, he studied laser eye surgery with world-leading authorities on laser vision correction and cataract surgery.
Dr. Bains has performed over 60,000 ocular procedures, including thousands of LASIK and Advanced Custom Wavefront procedures. In 1996, he underwent the procedure himself, having LASIK performed on both his eyes. Dr. Bains was medical director of LASIK Vision Windsor, and also served as program director for the department of ophthalmology at the University of Western Ontario. In addition to his role with LASIK MD, Dr. Bains maintains an active surgical practice, and served as the founder and as the medical/surgical director of the London Eye Surgery surgical centre. The centre was conceived to better meet the demands of patients in the area requiring advanced cataract and refractive surgery. He is also a corneal specialist and is well-versed in Corneal Collagen Cross-Linking (CXL), for patients with keratoconus.
Dr. Bains has had his work published in a variety of ophthalmic journals. He served as managing co-editor for The Atlas of Ophthalmology, part of a multi-volume series entitled Principles and Practice of Ophthalmology.
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Canadian Ophthalmological Society
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- Eye Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Board of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- They remain up-to-date on latest laser vision technologies and techniques
- They teach surgeons-in-training at prominent universities
- They conduct ongoing research in the field of refractive surgery