Dr. Michael Ashenhurst
Over 40,000 ocular procedures performed
Dr. Ashenhurst received his doctorate of medicine from the University of Saskatchewan in 1985. From there, he interned in internal medicine at McGill University in Montreal before completing his residency training in ophthalmology at the University of Toronto. He then underwent a year of training in oculoplastic surgery at the University of Toronto and additional training both at the University of Saskatchewan and Moorefield’s Eye Hospital in London, England.
Since first beginning to practice in 1991, Dr. Ashenhurst has performed over 40,000 ocular procedures. He specializes in treating cataracts and also has an interest in eyelid, orbital, and lacrimal diseases. His areas of expertise include the lacrimal system (tear glands and ducts) and the medical and surgical management of problems of the eyelids. Apart from his professional duties, Dr. Ashenhurst is also an assistant professor at the University of Calgary, and has also been a visiting professor at the University of British Columbia and an invited speaker at the University of Toronto.
While studying at the University of Saskatchewan, Dr. Ashenhurst was awarded the Hilliard Silver Medal, and the Lange Book Prize (for high achievement). He has been published in publications such as the Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology, Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, and Cornea. Additionally, he has presented at numerous conferences, including those hosted by the Canadian Ophthalmological Society, the Canadian Society of Oculoplastic Surgeons, the European Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, and the Canadian Ophthalmic Pathology Society.
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Canadian Medical Association
- Alberta Medical Association
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Eye Physicians and Surgeons Association of Alberta
- Canadian Society of Oculoplastic Surgeons
- They remain up-to-date on latest laser vision technologies and techniques
- They teach surgeons-in-training at prominent universities
- They conduct ongoing research in the field of refractive surgery