You can expect to feel nervous, anxious or excited prior to your procedure. This is a completely normal response. Before arriving at LASIK MD for your surgery, please carefully review the recommended guidelines on how to prepare for your upcoming surgery. The first section is intended for patients who will be undergoing LASIK or PRK. However, if you are scheduled for an intraocular procedure, such as a refractive lens exchange, please refer to the second section.
Preparing for LASIK or PRK Surgery
- Consult the Contact Lens Policy to determine the minimum length of time contact lenses must be removed prior to surgery.
- On your surgery date, please refrain from wearing perfume, cologne or any product containing heavy fragrances (such as lotion, creams, perfumes or fabric softener).
- Please do not use any product that contains alcohol such as hairspray, mousse, perfume and after-shave.
- Wear comfortable clothing on your surgery day. Please do not wear clothing such as wool or fleece that may generate lint in the laser eye center’s surgical suite.
- There are generally no restrictions on eating or taking medications before or on your surgery day, however, please advise us of any medications you are taking.
- There are no restrictions on having a pacemaker during your laser eye surgery.
- It is important not to wear eye makeup for at least 24 hours before surgery and the day of the surgery. For your security, the procedure may be postponed if makeup is detected.
- We recommend that you avoid consuming alcohol on the day of your laser surgery, as this tends to dehydrate the tissues and can delay the healing process.
- In consideration of other patients, and to ensure that your visit is as comfortable as possible, we ask that you not bring children with you. Your visit will last approximately four hours.
- Please be aware that your eyes will be irritated and light-sensitive following the procedure. This usually diminishes within 24 hours after the laser eye surgery.
- We do not advise driving short distances for at least 24 hours and long distances for approximately three (3) days after LASIK and seven (7) days after PRK. Please arrange alternative transportation from the centre for after your laser eye surgery.
- Depending upon your occupation, you may need to arrange to be away from work following your laser eye surgery. Consult our LASIK Information Booklet for information on expected times for different occupations.
- If traveling from outside Canada, please remember to carry proper identification such as your passport and/or other proof of citizenship.
- If you choose to have post-operative care with your own eye care professional at your expense, please book your appointments prior to your laser eye surgery date, and be prepared to give our center the name of the eye care professional responsible for your follow-up care. Your follow-up visits should take place at one (1) to two (2) weeks, and one (1) month following LASIK, with additional visits required for PRK.
Laser vision correction is a quick and painless procedure. Find out more about the procedure itself.
The section below is intended exclusively for patients who will be undergoing a lens replacement surgery (e.g. refractive lens exchange). Those who are preparing for a LASIK or PRK intervention should disregard this information.
- If you wear contact lenses, they should be removed before surgery in the eye(s) to be operated. Consult the Contact Lens Policy to determine the minimum length contact lenses must be removed prior to surgery.
- If you have surgery scheduled on your second eye at a later date, you may wear a contact lens in the non-operated eye up until two days prior to surgery.
- Please avoid eye makeup on the day of surgery.
Our Patient Care Centre will be happy to provide you with referrals for travel and nearby accommodations. Your surgery day will involve a couple of easy steps before the procedure itself. Find out what you can expect on the day of your surgery.