Dr. Devesh Varma
MD, BEng, FRCSC
Over 30,000 ocular procedures performed
SpecialtiesRefractive Lens Exchange (RLE)
Currently working inNorth York
Dr. Devesh Varma first completed a bachelor’s degree in engineering at Dalhousie University, and then went on to obtain a medical degree from the same institution. He then completed his residency in ophthalmology with the University of Saskatoon in 2009, also winning a Canadian Medical Association Award for Young Leaders that year. After his residency, Dr. Varma, under the tutelage of Dr. Ike Ahmed, completed a fellowship at the University of Toronto.
Dr. Varma currently sees patients at LASIK MD’s Mississauga and North York clinics, as well as Trillium Health Partners in Mississauga, Kensington Eye Institute in Toronto and at Prism Eye Institute/TLC Laser Eye Centres in Oakville. He is also the site lead for ophthalmology at Trillum’s Queensway Health Centre.
In addition to his in-clinic work, Dr. Varma is also an associate professor at the University of Toronto, teaching students in the Ophthalmology & Vision Sciences department, and is the ophthalmology director for the university’s Academy of Medicine program at Trillium. He is also extensively involved in research surrounding glaucoma and cataracts.
Dr. Varma has presented at over 100 conferences at the national and international level, including those put on by the Canadian Ophthalmological Society. Additionally, he has authored articles for over 20 publications. He is the founder and chairman of the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management Emerging Leaders Program for Ophthalmology. Dr. Varma also has the distinction of graduating first in his class when obtaining his engineering degree.
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Canadian Ophthalmological Society
- Canadian Glaucoma Society
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- They remain up-to-date on latest laser vision technologies and techniques
- They teach surgeons-in-training at prominent universities
- They conduct ongoing research in the field of refractive surgery