Dr. Louis Racine
Over 25,000 ocular procedures performed
SpecialtiesLASIK surgeryPRK SurgeryLaser PresbyVisionLens PresbyVisionRefractive Lens Exchange (RLE)Phakic intraocular lensCorneal Cross-Linking (CXL)CXL + T-PRK
Currently working inBrossardMontreal (Downtown)
Dr. Louis Racine completed his medical degree and specialization in ophthalmology at the Université de Montréal. Following this, he was awarded a grant to complete his post-doctoral fellowship training in cornea, cataract and laser refractive surgery at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas, and with the Rothschild Foundation in Paris, France.
Since 2003, Dr. Racine has performed more than 25,000 laser refractive surgeries. In 2004, he became one of the first surgeons in Montreal to be certified for use of the IntraLase femtosecond laser. That same year, he also underwent PRK surgery on both eyes. In Canada, he is also one of the cornea specialists with the most experience treating patients with keratoconus through use of corneal collagen cross-linking (CXL).
Dr. Racine is an associate professor of ophthalmology at the Université de Montreal and practices at Hôpital Notre-Dame of the Centre Hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal (CHUM). He teaches cataract surgery to ophthalmology residents and specializes in corneal transplant and complex cataract surgeries. As a recognized expert on dry eye syndrome, Dr. Racine is part of a Canadian group working to evaluate all therapeutic modalities for this condition.
Dr. Racine was awarded grants by the E.A. Baker Foundation for the Prevention of Blindness, and by the Université de Montréal Research in Ophthalmology Fund.
In 2003, Dr. Racine took part in United States Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) trials for the AcrySof® Toric intraocular lens. Dr. Racine has given many lectures in the United States and Europe on refractive surgery, dry eyes and intraocular lenses. He has participated in the publication of many book chapters and scientific papers, including the American Journal of Ophthalmology.
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Canadian Ophthalmological Society
- Canadian Association of University Professors of Refractive Surgery
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- French Society of Ophthalmology
- They remain up-to-date on latest laser vision technologies and techniques
- They teach surgeons-in-training at prominent universities
- They conduct ongoing research in the field of refractive surgery