Dr. Vincent W.H. Lam
OD, MD, FRCSC
Over 20,000 ocular procedures performed
Dr. Lam is an Ivy League-trained cornea and refractive surgeon. He obtained his fellowship in cornea, external disease and refractive surgery from Columbia University, where he trained with one of the pioneers of the LASIK laser. Prior to this, he pursued a fellowship in uveitis at the world-renowned Francis I. Proctor Foundation at the University of California, San Francisco. He completed his residency in ophthalmology at VCU Health of the Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia. He is also a board certified optometrist, making him one of only a handful of surgeons in the world to hold both doctorates in medicine and optometry.
Dr. Lam’s extensive experience includes working in Canada and the United States, and is certified in using several laser platforms. In 2014, Dr. Lam himself underwent Advanced Custom Wavefront refractive surgery. Dr. Lam is among a select group of physicians in Canada who perform an advanced sight-saving procedure that treats ectatic corneal diseases (including keratoconus and post-LASIK ectasia) using collagen cross-linking (CXL) combined with T-PRK laser treatment.
He is also an associate ophthalmologist at North Toronto Eye Care, treating patients with complex corneal and uveitic eye disease.
Dr. Lam is a lecturer at the University of Toronto’s Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences. He has conducted significant research which has appeared in a number of peer-reviewed publications. His published works have been presented at various national and international ophthalmic meetings. Presently, he is a reviewer for the Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology. He has served as co-president of the Volunteer Optometric Services to Humanity, a non-profit with the aim of restoring sight to those without proper access to vision care.
Dr. Lam received both the Alexander Rutherford Scholarship and the Business Development Bank of Canada Scholarship while working towards his undergraduate degree. Later, he was awarded the University of British Columbia’s Outstanding Student Initiative Scholarship, a full tuition undergraduate academic scholarship. He later pursued his medical studies on an academic entrance scholarship. In 2002, Dr. Lam received the Beta Sigma Kappa International Research Fellowship Grant.
- Canadian Medical Association
- Ontario Medical Association
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- New York State Medical License
- Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba
- They remain up-to-date on latest laser vision technologies and techniques
- They teach surgeons-in-training at prominent universities
- They conduct ongoing research in the field of refractive surgery