How to prepare for your consultation
Before attending your (in-clinic or virtual) pre-operative assessment, there are some simple steps below to follow which will help to ensure a successful pre-operative exam. Please complete the Patient Information Sheet (sent in your appointment confirmation email) ahead of your appointment.
For in-clinic consultations:
- If you wear contact lenses, please consult the Contact Lens Policy to determine the minimum length of time contact lenses must be removed before the consultation.
- A dilation of the pupils may be performed. Because of this, eyes may be sensitive to light. Please bring a pair of sunglasses with you to the appointment. Dilation may also result in blurred vision, particularly for near work, for 4 – 6 hours afterwards. Please note that the medication used to dilate the pupils is not recommended for administration to pregnant women.*
*If you are pregnant, we ask that you wait at least 1-3 months after giving birth before scheduling your pre-operative consultation. This is because the physical and hormonal changes experienced in pregnancy can result in variations in vision, so it’s best to wait until your vision has stabilized in order to ensure the best post-operative results. Read more here.
- For your comfort and in consideration of other patients, please do not bring your children to the clinic.
- You may not be able to return to work after the evaluation.
Please be advised that an in-clinic pre-operative consultation will take, on average, two hours to complete and a virtual consultation will last approximately 30 minutes.
For Corneal Collagen Cross-Linking (CXL):
- Bring your contact lenses to the appointment; testing will be done to assess what your vision is like with contact lenses.
- Please expect to spend two to three hours at the clinic on the day of your pre-operative consultation.
- You are entitled to have a pre-operative evaluation with your own eye care professional, at your expense. However, should you choose to have a pre-operative evaluation with your own doctor, you are still required to have a complete pre-operative assessment at our centre before surgery.
Not sure if you're a candidate for LASIK? Book your FREE, no-obligation consultation today.