Dr. Surendranath Sanmugasunderam
Over 40,000 ocular procedures
Calling the University of Ottawa home for the first six years of his academic career, Dr. Surendranath Sanmugasunderam received both his bachelor of science as well as his medical degree while studying in in the nation’s capital.
After graduation, Dr. Sanmugasunderam has undertaken several roles at the University of British Columbia (UBC). From ophthalmology resident to clinical lecturer and professor, Dr. Sanmugasunderam has been both active in the fields of teaching and research.
Dr. Sanmugasunderam specializes in cataract and refractive surgery.
Apart from his daily duties, he also served as a section editor and reviewer for the Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology, and served on committees with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia and the British Columbia Medical Association.
Dr. Sanmugasunderam is also a diplomate of the American Board of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Sanmugasunderam has won numerous academic awards while at the University of Ottawa, including the Jean-Jacques Lussier Prize and the Dr. Arthur Richard Prize.
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- American Board of Ophthalmology
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- They remain up-to-date on latest laser vision technologies and techniques
- They teach surgeons-in-training at prominent universities
- They conduct ongoing research in the field of refractive surgery